Wellness is important to me.
Heck, it’s important in general, it’s important for everyone.
Wellness is important simply because it boils down to how we function: are we well or not? Are we thriving or surviving? Are we living or barely making it?
This new year gives us a new opportunity to focus on wellness, to take our mental, physical and emotional health seriously.
Here are 8 steps to take toward wellness today:
- Rest. It seems so elementary, but rest is important — physical and spiritual. Take a nap. Sleep in. Pray. Meditate. Be still.
- Pray. I pray to Jesus Man but you may pray to another god. You may pray to your inner being. This is a subset of spiritual rest, but I think important enough to stand alone.
- Exercise often.If you cannot afford a gym membership, consider buying a few weights or a yoga mat to use at home. I always recommend workout videos, they can be highly effective!
- Find a therapist. This can be hard for some to admit they need, but therapy has given me peace and validated a lot of brokenness I’ve drowned through for years.
- Build healthy relationships. With those around you: ones that build you up, not tear you down, ones that make you better, not worse. Identify your A-team and stick with them!
- Create space. Between yourself and your to-do list, yourself and your harmful relationships. Give yourself time to breathe and grieve and rest and be if you need it.
- Eat healthy. I had some health issues this fall because of my diet, dairy simply hates me and I simply love it. Cutting it out has made all of the difference.
- Live in the present. As cheesy as it sounds, present-minded living rids you of dwelling in past failures or mistakes, and becoming anxious of future milestones. It liberates you to savor each moment: the good, the bad, the in-between.
I still work on these daily.
Many of them aren’t natural and do take effort and care and deliberation. Yet each and every one has changed my life radically to create a happier, healthier, better me.
What are your steps to wellness? Share them in the comments below!